Tuesday, June 26, 2012

There and away



Here we are on the ferry to the mainland.
We sat at the very front, and there was
even a movie to watch!
We went to Dar, on the mainland, last week. Crazy, traffic-jammed, smog-filled city of a few million people. Not my kinda place, let's just say. We had to get a new passport for Gilbert, since children's passports expire after five years. The child and both parents must be present, so it had to be a little family trip.

We took the ferry across the sea. It was not too rough that day, for which I was grateful; I am always the first one to get sick on boats! On this day, my stomach felt a bit queasy, but nothing came of it. Gilbert said his tummy didn't feel too good either, but everything stayed in (thank heaven!). So we made it to Dar, got a taxi to where our shared vehicle is kept, and were on our way to the US Embassy.

While sitting in traffic (which is the bulk of what one does in Dar) the van started to overheat. We made it to embassy anyway, got the business done, and went back to the van, which was still running hot. We found a place to fill it with water, but the radiator was leaking hopelessly. The van had to be parked, and we borrowed a vehicle from a friend. We wanted to do something fun while in the city.

We went to a new mall. Had some fried chicken tender fast food for lunch (fast food is definitely something that has not yet reached our island- I am not too sad about that, but I think the rest of my family relished the rarity!), and then went to an arcade/games center. We had wanted to go to a movie, but there were no kid movies showing. They had fun anyway, as you can see.



This was Elisha's favorite thing!
 They rode a little train, and helicopter swings, and bumper cars. And played in the little McDonald's-like play yard. I and the kids then went to a hostel for the night, while Bob went out to see about getting the van fixed. The kids bounced around the hotel room, enjoying the excitement of a new place, until I turned of the lights and made them be quiet...and they were asleep in five minutes!


Next day we went to the zoo. It's not a very big or fancy zoo, but they have some neat animals and the kids had a great time seeing them all and running and playing. I woke up with a headache, which continued to get worse through the day. After lunch, we went to the airport, and I and the boys flew home while Bob stayed to take care of the van and some other business.

And away we went, back to my island. We flew in this little 15- passenger plane, sitting right behind the pilot, with Gilbert asking questions the whole way. 

I was glad to get back home. I took malaria medicine straightaway, ran the kids through the shower, and we all went to bed! I felt bad for the next three days, staying in bed whenever I could, but am finally recovered. So thankful...to be well, and to be on my island, where I am supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your comment about that is what the bulk of the time spent in DAR is all about- sooo true! and the van overheating and car problems!! POLE Kabisa!glad you are home and doing better!

    ReplyDelete