Saturday, June 30, 2012

making Maandazi

 One Sunday afternoon, the electricity was cut off, as it often is at some time during the weekend. The trouble was that I had mixed up a batch of french bread dough, and now had no way to bake it. We have a solar oven, but it was cloudy that day. So...I rolled the dough out and cut it into circles. It was just I and Gil that afternoon; Bob was gone, and the two little guys were taking a nap.


This is how Force spent the afternoon! Apparently the wash
machine hadn't finished washing the sheets before the elec-
tricity was cut off! oops!

We made the dough into maandazi- a yummy local treat, which is basically balls of fried white dough! I had never attempted to make them before this. (Our neighbors usually keep us well supplied; should the boys get a hankering for maandazi, they go visiting at tea time! haha! ) They turned out ok- not as soft as they should have been, but they weren't bad;the boys ate 'em up, and the dough didn't go to waste!

yep, they are good enough to eat!

hey mister, are you snitching another??

please mama, may I have another?

oh, ok, I guess you can have one more...

1 comment: