Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mei Pili

Happy May! A new month is always exciting. It's wonderful how God created the sun and moon to give us times and seasons. Each new month is a time of reflection and planning for us. What do we need to do this month? What do we want to do this month? Setting some goals. Changing some things. And each new month I choose a book or topic to study, some prayer focus points, and memory passages. This month I'll be studying James. I may want to memorize this book also- but have not yet decided yay or nay. Usually as I study a passage, I find that the Lord uses it to speak to me so much that I do end up wanting to memorize it! I finished my last big memorization a couple months ago, so I'm ready for a new one. We'll see.

James is a practical book- that can be clearly seen with one read-over! It is more practical than doctrinal.. Thank goodness there are passages like that in the Book! As I was studying today, I thought about how new believers from our part of the world have several things in common with the original audience James was writing to. James was writing to the brethren, of the twelve tribes who were scattered abroad- likely because of persecution for their faith. They were not many in number. They were not powerful, politically. They were not well stablished in the faith. They lived in a world where Jesus the Messiah was unknown, and Christianity was either unheard of or thought to be some sort of fringe movement by weirdos. Through this, they had to grow and learn how to live in the world as followers of Christ. They didn't have centuries of Christian tradition dictating how they thought and acted! They had to learn to live what they believed. 

When someone here comes to faith, they are in much the same boat. Not only must they learn and grow in doctrine- they must also learn how to live, think, and act as a Follower. In the face of rejection. Persecution. Loneliness. Being the minority, unpopular, scorned, crazy. It's rough. They don't have a culture or heritage of Christian tradition, showing them how to live now. They must learn to do and live the Word in their world. 
 Learning how to walk along side them has been difficult. My cry has been, Lord, how can we best disciple these young ones to become strong, faithful followers in this context? How?? Bob and I are also reading through Acts together. This is always a book which teaches and challenges us in life and ministry. 



I believe He is answering my prayer. I am excited to see what I learn this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment