Saturday, December 8, 2012

Today and Forever

It's ten o'clock pm on my island. The boys are tucked in bed. Bob is already asleep, tired after a long day at the building site. I'm about ready to hit the hay myself, but feel compelled to type a few lines on my neglected-as-of-late blog! 

I have done lots of crazy, normal things today. Crazy, because a gal from Texas would certainly never expect to do these things. Normal, because I live on an African island. Anyhow, I've scrubbed out the water filter, picked pebbles out of the beans and set them to soak for tomorrow, taken a cold shower, and am ready for much-needed rest.

As a mama, I do a thousand things in a day that will all be undone tomorrow. But what will last that I have done today? What is my eternal work for the day? The time spent  with my children- especially in their spiritual instruction. The time spent with my neighbors- each moment with them is an eternal investment oppotunity. Prayer- I have prayed for many, friends, family, situations today. This is time not wasted, as it makes eternal impact in our world. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that is might not rain, and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. Why did he do that? To glorify God; to make Him known. Our prayers of faith in all situations can and will have the same impact.Time with the Word- always humbling, insightful, rejuvenating, and the Word of the Lord shall last forever.

I've done nothing extrordinary today; nothing extreme or difficult (ok, well, husking those coconuts actually was pretty difficult!). Yet I have an made eternal impact. Each day is an opportunity to influence the here and now- but also eternity.

1 comment:

  1. good reminder on the days I feel exhausted from caring for our girls- love you sister!

    ReplyDelete